Change-maker women celebrated at the Proteas of the Valley Event 2019August 29, 2019
As a grand finale to Valcare’s annual women’s month campaign, a stylish high tea event was hosted at Kronenburg Estate on Tuesday 27 August 2019. The chosen 15 Proteas of the Valley ladies, along with the previous two years’ Proteas and honourable guests from the valley, were spoiled with an afternoon of encouragement, entertainment, delicious eats and special treats.
To set the scene, Hanneli Rupert-Koegelenberg started the occasion with a thoughtful devotion, quoting motivational words from the Proteas ladies and reading fitting scriptures. Hanneli, together with her husband Hein Koegelenberg, is strongly involved in the wine industry at the family farms La Motte Wine Estate and Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards. With a passionate commitment to fulfilling God’s will, she also helps to transform the local community to ensure that they face their future with hope, confidence and courage. Hanneli is also one of the founders of Valcare 16 years ago, and is still a director on the board.
The Executive Mayor of the Cape Winelands District, Alderman (Dr) Elna von Schlicht, delivered an interesting message, comparing the characteristics of the various protea plants with those of strong, resilient women.
Bottomless Coffee Band got the crowd thumping their feet to the beats of their energetic performance. Lourens and Esté Rabé are not only an incredibly talented multi-instrumentalist couple, but also loves uplifting and contributing to community through their vibrant music.
The highlight of the event, was when the MC, Simoné de Wet (MD of Val de Vie Events), read out the incredible stories of the 15 Proteas of the Valley ladies. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house, and guests were deeply moved by the tenacious spirit of the women that are selflessly making an enormous difference in the Cape Winelands.
“This initiative has made me feel worthy. I feel like my life has expanded and that I’ve received opportunities that I never thought I’d get. I have even been booked as a motivational speaker at events,” says Charlene Elliot, one of the Proteas of the Valley women for 2019.
The Proteas ladies were also given incredible goodie bags filled to the brim with gifts that include vouchers.
“Thank you to all of our sponsors, volunteers and partners for making the Proteas of the Valley initiative a reality. An exciting movement has begun and we can’t wait to see how it’s going to grow and evolve each year!,” says Jolanda van der Lingen, Relationship Manager of Valcare.
- To read the 15 Proteas of the Valley women’s stories, please click here.
- To view the Facebook photo album of the event, please click here.
Our event sponsors:
- Mergon (official funders of the Valcare Membership Network)
- Alert Engine Parts (funders of the event and following movements)
- Kronenburg Estate (venue, flowers and catering)
- Joke Viljoen (professional profile photos of the ladies)
- Bon Louis Bistro (venue for the photo shoot)
- Lig Magazines (free magazines for guests)
- Fleet Coffee (coffee for guests)
- La Motte and Leopards Leap (wine)
- Jeannie Beukes (flower arrangements)
- Bottomless Coffee Band (event performance)
- All the guest speakers also offered their time complimentary
The Proteas’ Goodie Bags contained the following:
- Val de Vie Foundation (tote bags, vouchers for Reuben’s restaurant and tickets to the Pink Polo event)
- Curves (vouchers for a week of training)
- Elli Organic Boutique (Fleur soap, massage oil, wash gloves, shaving cream)
- Cum Books Paarl (‘Briewe aan God’ books)
- Melkbos Glas (framed picture of their professional photo)
- Rind Routing (wooden protea broaches)
- Giggling Geeze (handmade shower caps)
- Inmaak Produsente Vereniging (recipe books)
- Vision Box (free eye tests)
- Hope for Youth SA and Merci Mari Boutique (designer fascinator hats)
- Christ Revival Church Paarl (R100 Clicks vouchers, gloves, tea, socks, chocolates, hand sanitizer and bookmarks)
- Linda Neethling (eye pencils)
- Black Opal Cosmetic (make-up)
- VillaMar (coffee vouchers)
- Bottomless coffee Band (bag of coffee beans)
- I am His (handmade proteas earrings)
The Lucky Draws included:
- Nuwerus Lodge (one night stay for two)
- Mooikelder Day Spa (back, neck and shoulder massage)
- Ozone Paarl & Beauty (manicure)
- Knus Karoo Kombuis (voucher)
- Bean in Love (voucher)
- Landskroon Wines (two wine gift packs)
- Oude Wellington Restaurant (three vouchers)
- The Perfect Place (voucher)
- Harvest Co (voucher)
- Liezl Muller (two paintings of proteas)
- Extrordinary You Makeover (a complete makeover session)
- The Nail Room (gel manicure and pedicure)
- The Board Room (cut and blow)
- Zubentheim family (handmade quilt)