With National Women’s Month taking place in August, it is once again time to nominate inspirational ladies to be named the Proteas of the Valley for 2021.
Valcare’s women empowerment initiative, now in its ninth year, aims to empower, honour and celebrate remarkable women who make a difference in the Cape Winelands.
Just like the magnificent protea flower that thrives in dry and mountainous terrain, Proteas of the Valley women flourish amidst difficult conditions.
The nominations for this year’s Proteas of the Valley campaign will be open between Monday, 7 June 2021 and Friday, 2 July 2021.
The public is invited to go online and nominate inspirational ladies who stay or work in the Cape Winelands region (Paarl to Franschhoek, Wellington to Stellenbosch); and who are making a positive impact in the lives of others.
An independent selection committee will choose 15 women that will be announced in July 2021, and celebrated publicly throughout women’s month in August 2021.
Women’s Month Celebration Activities
Each of the 15 Proteas of the Valley women’s inspirational stories will be shared on Valcare’s Facebook page and Instagram account during August 2021, along with their beautiful professionally taken photographs.
They will also be featured in Paarl Post and Radio KC throughout the month and given the opportunity to share their story.
Depending on Covid-19 restrictions, the ladies will also be invited to attend a High Tea celebration ceremony at the luxurious Kronenburg Estate, where they will each receive a hamper filled with special gifts.
Who qualifies as Proteas of the Valley Women?
Proteas of the Valley women are everyday ladies who are flowering beautifully where they have been planted.
They are the grandmothers, mothers, wives, foster parents, aunts and daughters. They are the business women, social workers, community leaders, teachers, entrepreneurs, nurses, volunteers, administrators and creatives. They are the impact champions and change agents – anyone that is making a difference in other people’s lives.
They are strong, selfless, brave and kind.
They are caring, humble and encouraging.
Women form the backbone of our community, let’s thank them for it.
Click here for a video about a previous Proteas of the Valley campaign.
Click here to complete the online nomination form.
For more information about the campaign and to view previous year’s women’s stories, visit www.valcare.org.za/proteasofthevalley
Terms & Conditions
– The Proteas of the Valley initiative is not a competition. There are no prizes. It is a forum to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of extraordinary women to their community.
– 15 women or “Proteas of the Valley” will be celebrated during the month of August.
– Nominations are open between 7 June 2021 and 2 July 2021 until 17:00. No nominations will be accepted after the closing date.
– Nominees must have made positive contributions to communities within the Drakenstein or Winelands areas, from Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Wellington and Paarl.
– Nominations may not be for any member of staff or family of Valcare or sponsors of the initiative.
– Nominees may not nominate themselves.
– A committee will review nominations and the 15 women selected to be Proteas of the Valley 2021, will be contacted in July 2021. The committee’s decision is final.
– As this is an annual event, women who have been recognised in previous Valcare woman’s day events, are not eligible to be Proteas of the Valley for 2021.
– The Proteas of the Valley agree to have their pictures taken and their work and stories to be featured on social media and local media including print and radio.
– The Protea of the Valley initiative is voluntary. Should a selected Protea of the Valley not wish to participate they may opt out. In such instances the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
– Valcare may disqualify a Protea of the Valley before or after any public announcement, should any rule transgressions or factors which may bring Valcare, its partners, sponsors and stakeholders into disrepute be discovered. In such instances, and if time allows, the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
– Proteas of the Valley take part in the initiative at their own risk and Valcare bears no responsibility for any loss, damage or harm suffered as a result of participation.