It’s that time of the year again. With National Women’s Month taking place in August, Valcare will once again be honouring the incredible women who make the Cape Winelands a better placeJust like the magnificent protea that grows and thrives in dry and mountainous terrain, these women flourish, flower and bring joy despite difficult conditions.
And there couldn’t be a more fitting time to celebrate the hope carriers who have stood strong before and during the challenging Covid-19 months.
Proteas of the Valley women are everyday ladies who are flowering beautifully where they have been planted. They are the grandmothers, mothers, wives, foster parents, aunts and daughters. They are the business women, social workers, community leaders, teachers, entrepreneurs, nurses, volunteers, administrators and creatives. They are the impact champions and change agents – anyone that is making a difference in other people’s lives.
They are strong, selfless, brave and kind.
They are caring, humble and encouraging.
Women form the backbone of our community, let’s thank them for it.
Honouring and Celebrating Women
Each of the 15 Proteas of the Valley women’s inspirational stories will be shared on Valcare’s Facebook page and Instagram account during August 2020, along with their beautiful professionally taken photographs. They will also be featured in community media throughout the month.
Although a High Tea celebration won’t be possible this year due to Covid-19 restrictions, the ladies will each receive a gift hamper delivered to their door and a VIP invitation to the Proteas of the Valley event in 2021.
Between 12 June and 5 July 2020 anyone is invited to identify and nominate women that are somehow making a positive impact in the lives of others. The nomination can be related to Covid-19 specific acts, but it can also be any characteristic or action that has made an impact over the last couple of years.
Inspirational ladies that stay or work in the Cape Winelands, from Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Paarl and Wellington.
An independent selection committee will choose 15 women that will be announced in July 2020.
Click here to read more about the Proteas of the Valley campaign and watch a video about 2019’s highlights.
Terms & Conditions
– The Proteas of the Valley initiative is not a competition. There are no prizes. It is a forum to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of extra-ordinary women to their community.
– 15 women or “Proteas of the Valley” will be celebrated during the month of August.
– Nominations are open between 12 June 2020 and 5 July 2020 17:00. No nominations will be accepted after the closing date.
– Nominees must have made positive contributions to communities within the Drakenstein or Winelands areas – from Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Wellington and Paarl.
– Nominations may not be for any member of staff or family of Valcare or sponsors of the initiative.
– Nominees may not nominate themselves.
– A committee will review nominations and the 15 women selected to be Proteas of the Valley 2020, will be contacted in July 2020.
– The committee’s decision is final.
– As this is an annual event, women who have been recognised in previous Valcare woman’s day events, are not eligible to be Proteas of the Valley for 2020. Please click here to view the honourary list of previous Proteas of the Valley women.
– The Proteas of the Valley agree to have their pictures taken and their work and stories to be featured on social media and local media including print and radio.
– The Protea of the Valley initiative is voluntary. Should a selected Protea of the Valley not wish to participate they may opt out. In such instances the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
– Valcare may disqualify a Protea of the Valley before or after any public announcement, should any rule transgressions or factors which may bring Valcare, its partners, sponsors and stakeholders into disrepute be discovered. In such instances, and if time allows, the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
– Proteas of the Valley take part in the initiative at their own risk and Valcare bears no responsibility for any loss, damage or harm suffered as a result of participation.