They are strong, selfless, brave and kind.
They are caring, humble and encouraging.
Just like the local Protea flower – these women flourish despite harsh, dry and mountainous terrains.
Women form the backbone of our community.
August is National Women’s Month and Valcare is once again honouring the fierce females who make the Paarl valley and surrounding areas a better place. They are the Proteas of the Valley.
We’re talking about the hope carriers, the impact champions and the change agents. The grandmothers, mothers, wives and daughters. The business women, social workers, teachers, entrepreneurs, nurses, volunteers, administrators and creatives. Every women who is flowering beautifully where she has been planted.
Between 3 June and 9 July 2019 anyone from our community is invited to identify and nominate women that are somehow making a positive impact in the lives of others.
From Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Paarl and Wellington.
Click here to complete the online nomination form or collect a printed form from the Valcare office in 10 Verster Street, Paarl.
This year, an independent selection committee will choose 15 women that will be announced at the end of July 2019.
Honouring and Celebrating Women
Each of the 15 Proteas of the Valley women’s inspirational stories will be told on the Valcare Facebook page, during August 2019. They will also be featured in community media throughout the month.
A High Tea celebration event on 27 August 2019 will be the highlight of the Proteas of the Valley campaign. The ladies will be hosted as VIPs at the beautiful Kronenburg Estate where guest speakers will encourage and uplift the women to continue with the wonderful work they are doing.
“She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future.” – Proverbs 31:25
Terms and Conditions
- The Proteas of the Valley initiative is not a competition. There are no prizes. It is a forum to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of extraordinary women to their community.
- Fifteen women, or “Proteas of the Valley” will be celebrated during the month of August.
- Nominations for Proteas of the Valley are open from 3 June – 9 July 2019. No nominations will be accepted after the closing date.
- Nominees must have made contributions to communities within the Drakenstein or Winelands areas – from Stellenbosch to Franschhoek, Wellington and Paarl.
- Nominations may not be for any member of staff or family of Valcare or sponsors of the initiative.
- Nominees may not nominate themselves.
- A committee will review nominations and the 15 women selected to be the Proteas of the Valley 2019 will be contacted in July 2019.
- The committee’s decision is final.
- As this is an annual event, women who have been recognised in previous Valcare woman’s day events, are not eligible to be Proteas of the Valley for 2019.
- The Proteas of the Valley agree to have their pictures taken and their work and stories to be featured on social media and local media including print and radio.
- The Proteas of the Valley will be invited to attend a celebratory event on 27 August 2019 at Kronenburg Estate, Paarl. They will be allowed to invite one guest to attend the event with them, on a complimentary basis. Since it is a sponsored event, a 48 hour cancellation policy applies. If the event guest fails to attend the event, they will be invoiced for the catering costs.
- The Protea of the Valley initiative is voluntary. Should a selected Protea of the Valley not wish to participate they may opt out. In such instances the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
- Valcare may disqualify a Protea of the Valley before or after any public announcement, should any rule transgressions or factors which may bring Valcare, its partners, sponsors and stakeholders into disrepute be discovered. In such instances, and if time allows, the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
- Proteas of the Valley take part in the initiative at their own risk and Valcare bears no responsibility for any loss, damage or harm suffered as a result of participation.